Thursday, June 30, 2011

Not my "version" of fun...

Thank God that is over! For a procedure that took, literally, two minutes, I am worn out, beat up and sore! None of that matters because we successfully turned baby girl around and now I wait until she is ready to make her appearance. She is already slightly high maintenance, so I expect this entrance into the world to be nothing but grand and miraculous.
For those of you not familiar with a version, this is an interesting experience. I started by getting an IV of fluids, then an epidural (which kept having to be redirected so I am in a lot of pain in my back), then they give you a shot of a medication to relax your uterus. They know it's taken effect when your heart rate sky rockets. For some reason, it took me a long time to react. My doctor assumes I must have super powers and was discussing writing me up in a medical journal as the first person not to respond to this medicine. Finally, my body decided to respond and he grabbed her head from outside my stomach, another doctor grabbed her butt and they pushed down on me as hard as they could and moved her little body around almost 180 degrees until she was head down. She cooperated the first try, so everyone was thrilled and I was very glad it didn't take longer than a few minutes. Bob said he could see her outline and it was very interesting to watch. So, now we hang out and hope she stays put.
This little procedure's biggest purpose is to help me avoid having a c-section. I know there are many reasons why c-sections are safest and best, but in my case, I am better off having another baby the regular old way and not have to go through the recovery of major surgery. This has gotten me thinking about all the little and big things we do as mothers to ensure the safety and protection of our children, even before they have entered this world. Charlie will be better off if I only have a few days of recovery rather than a few weeks and now that Caroline is in position, we can let her take the lead and do things when she is ready. Motherhood is a hard job and you put yourself in any situation needed to do what's best for your child. Some would argue that letting my doctors "manhandle" her today was not in her best interest, but I believe I did the right thing and the success we had proves that my instinct and the trust I have in my doctor is right. No matter how many times this instinct is correct, we still question daily if we have done the right thing because, at the end of the day, this is the most important job in the world.
More than anything, I am emotionally worn out from this experience. Thank you to everyone that had us in your prayers and thoughts today. I appreciate those of you that let us know you were thinking of us and hoping things went well. I especially appreciate Grandma Paula being here with Charlie so Bob and I had nothing else to worry about. Now being on the other side of it, I realize how much of my worry was for nothing, but it's still nice to feel supported and thought of.
I promise the next post about this baby will be the happy news that she has arrived. I am much more relaxed about the uncertainty of when she will be here. It's much better for me to keep her safe where she is and let nature take action. Plus, I only have a tiny amount of time left with just Charlie and this time with him should be spent having a good time and loving each other, not wondering if today is the day. It's funny how you start mourning your one-on-one time with your first. You know this is the only child that had you and you alone for a few years. I am going to miss it being the two of us during the day, but am equally as excited about loving 2 little people and caring for both of them.
Ok, good night. My emotional, "coming off the meds" discussion of today is over.
Hope everyone has a great long weekend! Happy 4th of July!!

post signature

3 comments:

Krista said...

Aimee,

I'm glad to hear that everything went well... Little Girl knows how to get some attention already! ;)

Before Kevin and I left for the hospital to be induced with Ansley, we tucked Addison into bed and I just sat there holding her and crying,thinking, "things will never be the same..." And, it's not. There is a new normal. But... your heart just expands, and you realize just how much love you are capable of. It really is the most amazing and precious gift.

So... enjoy the time you have with Charlie, but know that it's about to get even better!!

I'm excited for you and can't wait to hear that she's here! :)

Keri Donald said...

Glad to hear everything went well. :) I had to look up "version" yesterday after you first mentioned it. I had no idea that they could do that! Amazing!

Also, just wanted to leave you with something that I had heard somewhere and discovered was 100% true after my 2nd was born (when I was a bit nervous/sad about taking away the one-on-one time from my first):
"When you have children, your love is multiplied rather than divided." It's amazing how true that is! And you're giving Charlie such an amazing gift by giving him a sibling!

Aimee said...

Thank you ladies! I am in tears at what you said. I know this is true but there are times that I am just so sad to let go of my time with him and I pray that I made the most of it. I can't wait to meet this little girl and I know he is better off having a sibling and learning how to love and deal with sibling relationships. I think I am just ready to not be so darn emotional in general! Anything gets me going these days...